Re: Attachment filename coding

On 12/17/2004 10:02:24 AM, Peter Vopatek wrote:
Hi all,

I have problem with coding of attached filenames.
My Balsa is 2.2.5 running on SuSE 9.0
My LANG is sv_SE (not sv_SE.UTF8 !) and Balsa is started with this script:

#!/bin/sh
export G_FILENAME_ENCODING=ISO-8859-1
export LANG=sv_SE.UTF8
exec /opt/garnome-0.27.1/bin/balsa-2.2.5 "$@"

Everything works nice except when I attach a file
where filename contains swedish characters,
as eg: åäöfile, which produces following in the message:
The file itself is attached, the whole message is properly
sent and recieved, but people using other mail clients then Balsa
( = Netscape, Mozilla et al) can't see the attachment.
It seems that it doesn't matter how they change their settings.

I am unsure if this is a bug in Balsa, Gtk or in my settings.
Is there some way to fix it so the coding is set to ISO as in:

That "name*=..." syntax is specified in RFC 2184. The syntax you suggest, using "encoded-word", is expressly forbidden by RFC 2047, but is apparently used anyway by various mailers. GMime accepts it, but creates only RFC-2184-compliant headers.

Filenames containing only 7-bit characters should be fine ;-)