Re: Delete -> open next?

On 10/12/04 20:23:33, Craig Routledge wrote:

I put together a quick test patch for the request and it works fine. The behavior I chose was to open the next unread message after sending the current one to trash. If there are no more unread messages, the window closes.

It's possible to go to the next (read) message once all unread messages have been exhausted, however that seems less useful for the most common case of dealing with new mail, or for people with large mailboxes. It would also not be possible to tell if the message was new or not without switching back to the main window, or adding some sort of "new message" icon to the message window.

I prefer the first approach, but what do other people think?

Also, with this new behavior, do we need a "trash and close" command in addition to just "trash (and select next unread)"? "Ctrl+W" can be used to close the window regardless.

Don't forget that you can also move a message to another folder, which isn't the same as deleting AFAIK. So should we talk about a message being "processed" (deleted, moved, anything else)?

As for the behaviour, why not just a preference:
"Action to be taken after new message is processed":
Close message window / Move to next message / Move to next unread message

That seems very simple, UI-wise. :)