Balsa crashes on startup

I am using Debian Testing (Sarge) with the Gnome desktop. I recently upgraded to the latest version of sarge.

Immediately after upgrading I re-installed Balsa using the standard testing debian FTP site. Balsa worked fine. The sound did not work at all. I re-installed Alsa and got the sound working. The problem was, Balsa no longer works.

When I load Balsa from a terminal, as a user, it displays the

*** Message: init gpgme version 0.3.15

message and then crashes with a seg-fault.

The odd thing is that it works fine if I run it as root. That tells me this is probably a simple "dumba" issue, but I am stuck. I'm also stuck using my provider's web mail interface.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Tom Lamm