printer specification - Is this a bug?

Two weeks ago, Iposted to this list the following message, but have
received no replies, so I'll try again:

I am using Balsa 2.0.15 on the Gnome2 desktop in Debian 3.0.

I would like to be able to change the default print command string
from "lp" to something such as "lpr -Phplj4ps".

But using:

  menu -> print -> printer tab -> "settings" and "location" fields

I discover that the "settings:configure" button is dimmed-out.  Under
"location", I am able to select "custom" and then enter
"lpr - Phplj4ps", but this change holds only for one print job;
immediately afterward, the default reverts to "lp".

Am I taking the wrong approach, or has the ability to change the
default print command string not yet been implemented?

I have searched through all the menus, and have tried Gnome Command
Center, and I find no place in which to set the default printer for all
applications.

RLH