GConf [Was: Re: some devel-questions]

On 2003.04.30 17:18, Darko Obradovic wrote:
> Am 30.04.2003 04:18 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:
>> On 04/29/2003, mt@abe-si.de wrote:
>>> 4) Why use balsa not gconf for store the settings? It's a bad idea
>>> to use gconf?
>>
>> Imho, no, just some work...but others may disagree.
>
> As much as I've experienced, GConf is heavily used for single options, and
> most applications apply them in real-time then, which is very cool in
> Gnome2. Migrating to such a behavior should be worth the effort I guess.

Certainly a lot of people like having changes applied in real-time - I'm
ambivalent myself, I kind of like having Apply/Cancel buttons so I can abandon
ill-thought changes before I screw anything up.

What I don't like is having to access the setting through another application
(the gconf daemon).  This is suspiciously similar to the Wind*ws Registry (Is
Bill hiring people to introduce Bad Ideas (tm) into Open Source projects to
make them less better that his products?), which has long been a source of
problems in that OS.  I would vote to keep balsa managing it's own settings if
anyone were to ask.

--
Steve Wall