Re: UI Question/Suggestion

On 05/09/2003, Simon Brown wrote:
> I was thinking, what do people think about moving the little icon bar
> you get at the bottom of messages which shows the attachments/
> alternative parts etc?
>
> I get sent alot of emails with long coporate disclaimers and people
> never trim messages, so having the bar at the bottom is "Sub
> optimal." Also if you receive a picture, you have to scroll down to
> view it and then scroll down again (assuming it's big) to save it. My
> machine runs at a resolution of 1024x768 and with line wrapping I
> always have space at the side of the message, so how about putting
> the icon bar vertically down the the right edge of the message pane?
>
> Thoughts?

`Vertical' doesn't seem to be an option for GnomeIconList--but do we
need to use GnomeIconList?  A GtkTreeView would offer a vertical
organization, and would also allow us to show the nesting of parts...

FWIW: GnomeIconList is classified as obsolete at
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/porting/ar01s08.html#libgnomeui-obsoleted
though I didn't see any suggestion about what to replace it with.