Re: Fractured forwarded mail

Background: Netscape Messenger sometimes sends messages containing:

[ normal headers ]
To: "Peter Bloomfield" <PeterBloomfield@bellsouth.net>
Subject: [Fwd: blah blah]

--------------050405090708050605060309

--------------050405090708050605060309
  filename="blah blah"

and Balsa breaks this into two `messages', the first with the headers
down to this point, and the second containing the balance of the
message, including the terminating
--------------050405090708050605060309--
boundary.  The message is broken, as RFC 2046 specifies that the
preamble (in this case the line `This is a multi-part message in MIME
format.') must end with a blank line.

On 05/05/2003, Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2003.05.05 04:33:58 +0100 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>
>> No, Carlos, libmutt isn't on crack--NSMessenger is sending a broken
>> multipart message!  Libmutt is correct: the preamble is `discard-
>> text', which is `*(*text CRLF)', and:
>>

> ah, tkx for checking :) that sliped my mind :\
>

>> So, do we patch libmutt to accommodate a broken NSM, or live with
>> NSM-
>> forwarded messages being parsed as two?  ;-)
>>

> I don't think we can allow parsing of broken messages simply cause
> that will
> mean misparsing correct messages.

But is breaking the malformed message into two seemingly unrelated
parts the best response to its brokenness?