LDAP addressbook problem

> > 2) [very serious] The most of my contacts are named in russian. Only
>
> > one of them is stored in english. What is see is a list of emails
> and
> > mostly empty column of names. I thought that there can be a problem
> > when balsa recieves data from LDAP. I refilled LDAP addressbook
> > adding characters 'g' aroung 'givenname' and 's' around 'sn'. This
> > time I saw a column mostly consisting of 'gg ss' lines. So, there
> are
> > 2 questions:
> > 	1. Does anybody knows how to fix this?
>
> I suspect that there is koi-8 data passed somewhere when utf-8 is
> expected. Can you dump single entry from your address book to ldif
> format, and see whether:
> 1. it contains only 7-bit data (koi-8 chars should be encoded).
> 2. balsa can treat it as ldif address book

As far as I understood, there can be no koi8-r there because data in LDAP is stored in UTF-8 and my locale is UTF-8 too (koi8-r is used only for encoding mail).

> You can post such an entry to the list for further testing, if needed.
>
> > 	2. If nobody knows, where should I look to start debugging?
>
> Look at libbalsa/address-book-ldap.c . You might also compare
> libbalsa/address-book-ldif.c

I saw there a place:

#define BALSA_CODESET "ISO-8859-1"

I think that it is a place which kills russian characters. When I changed it to UTF-8 I saw that everything works fine. But I don't know what's the proper character set for Balsa. Either it is UTF-8 or it is locale-dependent.

With best regards,
  Rtveliashvili Denis