SMTP on balsa 1.4.4 vs pine

I am running Balsa 1.4.4 on Red Hat Linux 7.3.  I have not been able to get 'smtp' to work.  I have tried manually setting the port to 25 and 587.  No help.  I have seen the following output in netstat, though I'm not sure
what to make of it:

with balsa:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      1 moms_linux.locald:33618 smtp.east.co:submission SYN_SENT

with pine:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      6 moms_linux.locald:33619 smtp.east.cox.net:smtp  ESTABLISHED
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      1 moms_linux.locald:33619 smtp.east.cox.net:smtp  LAST_ACK

Anne Racel

This message was sent using Postaci Webmail. (http://www.trlinux.com)