Re: speed issues with large mailboxes

On 2003.07.29 12:59, emmanuel ALLAUD wrote:
> so it is not that bad. So the actual problem is the
> way we load the gtktreestore/view at once with all
> mails. In short we could perhaps just try to store the
> mails "on-demand", ie for instance try to parse the
> messages following the sort asked by the user and
> select the last ones (~100) display them, and then via
> a callback we should go on storing the remaining ones
> in the background. I don't know exactly the problems
> this approach would involve but AFAICT this kind of
> hack would certainly require a lot of changes so IMHO
> this would be better done in a devel branch. Pawel ?

GtkTreeView has a long history of being slighly brain-dead performance-
wise (see bugs 71968, 80868, 87556, 94710, some of them fortunately
fixed in CVS source of gtk2) but I think some people are working on
this. What can we do to slightly improve situation (apart from
exercising some polite pressure on gtk guys) is to Implement
GtkTreeStore interface for LibBalsaMailbox. I had a working prototype -
but without message threading, this is where I got stuck. If I decide
to commit it, it would be definetely a devel-branch material.

Pawel