Re: LDAP + password problem

Depending upon the configuration of your ldap server (slapd), parts of the
database will be world-readable, whereas other sensible parts like
passwords are visible only after binding with a specific dn, including a
valid password. E-mail, real name and address infos are usually
world-readable, so I guess you should not need a password.

You should, however, set up your ldap system to use ssl which encrypts all
data traffic between server and client, and you could additionally use
kerberos tickets to do a machine authentication. This is set up in the
config files of the server and the "generic" or user-specific config files
for all client apps (e.g. /etc/openldap/ldap.conf). There is a really good
OpenLDAP howto which you can find on the web for further infos.

Hope this helps,
with greetings from Old Europe,

Albrecht.