[rfc] treatment of embedded message/rfc822 parts

[sorry, quite long...]

Hi all!

I think balsa's treatment of embedded message/rfc822 parts, created by
e.g. Message -> forward attached, can be improved.

The current situation is that balsa displays all "useable" parts (text,
images, etc.) of all mails, but does not give the user any information
about the underlying structure of the mail and the headers of embedded
messages. The *only* way to get this information is via Message -> View
source, but the average user will not have the knowledge of the various
rfc's the understand what acutally goes on. Furthermore, this may be
rather complicated, as the embedded messages may be nested (== again
contain message/rfc822 parts).

To improve this, I would like to suggest the following:

* visualize the "indent level" of message/rfc822 parts;

* display the headers of embedded messages.

A first step *could* be the attached patch (against the 2.0.5 cvs). It
enables the display of the rfc822 parts (however, you currently get just
the info that it's not possible to display it - TDB) and adds vertical
lines according to the "nesting depth" left to any embedded part. You can
try this out by (attached) forwarding a message plus some text to yourself
again and again.

The next step would be to extract all the header information from embedded
messages (using gdb, I saw them all in the MuttBody structure... I guess
libbalsa/body.c would be the right place to do that?) and to display them.
Now, what do you think of this approach? *Any* comment is really welcome,
as I do not want to waste time for an extension nobody needs...

Thanks,

	Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

EmbeddedIndent.patch.gz