pop3 with ssl or kerberos???

hi,
i am using balsa1.3.3 running on a redhat7.2 box. my mailserver requiers
either ssl or kerberos to logon. the ports on the server are 995, 1109,
respectively.
my problem is that i can't get pop3 running. if i don't specify a port i
get a message: "connection refused" and if i try with one of the ports it
says only "connection error". i also tried to fiddle with the apop option
but things didn't improve.
the same happens if i try imap with the respective ports (143 or 993).
does somebody know a solution to my problem?
cheers,
jochen