Re: ANNOUNCE: balsa-1.3.2 released.

Note:

All I write here is from the user's perspective. I don't ask anybody to
"correct" what I'm criticizing here, and I don't mean this to be ad
hominem. I just hope that it's useful to those who develop Balsa.

Am 2002.02.27 14:10 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:

> Have you tried increasing the imap scan depth?

No, I hadn't. I didn't know that this option existed.

IMHO, this is a useful option, but it should default to the behavior
the user experienced so far; if not, the change should be documented so
that the user can't miss it. I haven't found it mentioned in README or
NEWS. (BTW: 1.2.4 (which I used to use until now) isn't mentioned in
NEWS; wasn't that a "released release").

Now that I know what it consists of, I actually like the new behavior.

> That should provide a temporary fix.

It's more than that!

> Do you see the folders that *do* get scanned when Balsa starts? If
> so, you could also try collapsing the tree to its root, and
> re-expanding.

I can take back (most of) my complaints. Everything seems to work fine
- it was just too hard (for me) to notice. :-)

Since scanning IMAP folders may take some time, a visual feedback in
the status line would be useful IMHO.

While switching forth and back between 1.2.4 and 1.3.2, I have
discovered a minor issue:

1.2.4 used to use separate input fields for host and port of mail
accounts. 1.3.2 converts these to a single input field (using the
common host:port) format. The result is that in ~/.gnome/balsa, I now
have mailboxes whose host and port are configured on two lines
(Server=<server>\nHost=<host>) and others whose host and port are
configured on one line (<server>:<host>). AFAICT the latter is
appropriate for 1.3.2 (problems accessing mailboxes seem to have
disappeared as soon as I manually edited .gnome/balsa to that effect).
Is that correct?

Then there's this:

I have a hierarchy of IMAP directories and folders on one server. When
Balsa 1.3.2 displays this hierarchy, it somehow invents empty
sub-directories with empty names whose contents are that of the
directories parent; the hierarchy as displayed by Balsa 1.3.2 looks
something like this:

- Software Engineering
| -
| | -
| | | +
| | | + C++
| | + C++
| + C++

In reality, there is only one C++ directory, located directly under
"Software Engineering"; there is no directory with an empty name under
"Software Engineering"; the directories displayed on lines 2 to 4 all
behave as if they were symbolic links to "Software Engineering".

I observe this behavior for more than one directory (but not all of
them), and the blank in the name isn't the distinctive factor; I have
no idea what the distinctive factor is.

So much for now
Thanks everybody for listening and working!