Re: [RFC] : small doc for beginner wanting to test Balsa from CVS

	Hi all,
just the second version in attachment, not really much more (but a few
more FIXMEs ;-)
Bye
Manu
This document is aimed at people who want to Balsa users wanting to help by testing latest versions of Balsa, ie versions of Balsa coming from CVS. It's just a very short introduction to cvs rudiments and package compilation (when I say package I mean autoconf/automake enabled package).
You can find more information here for cvs use : "man cvs" ;-), or also on gnome site (/*FIXME : URL*/), and also on Balsa website (be sure to look at the FAQ there before asking a question). /* FIXME : more docs ?*/

First VERY IMPORTANT remark :
If you want to be sure that your important mails won't get corrupted you
can begin the process by creating a special user for the testing purpose.
I would recommend that, especially for CVS versions that tend to be
unstable.
If you do that all the description I give below is to be done using this
new user account.

Uploading the sources from CVS :

First let's prepare the ground for cvs, issuing the following commands :

mkdir the_name_of_the_directory_where_cvs_will_be_put
cd the_name_of_the_directory_where_cvs_will_be_put
echo ":pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome A" > ~/.cvspass
cvs -z3 checkout -r HEAD balsa

To issue the last command you must be connected to the net, this command
will build the cvs tree in the newly created directory. To be complete,
the previous command just tell where is the cvs server (it's a gnome
project server) and to connect as anonymous.
But as you know CVS evolve pretty fast, so to keep in sync, just go into
the cvs directory you set up and issue the following command (you have to
be on the net obviously) :

cvs update

this will issue a lot of messages to tell you which files have been
updated. You can also have error messages. I have only seen 2 of these :
"unknown host..." (this was caused by a problem with my connection to the
net, so if your connection is OK you should not see that one) and also
"cvs [update aborted]: connect to anoncvs.gnome.org:2401 failed: No route
to host" this one I don't know exactly why but I assume it's when the cvs
server is saturated, so just differ your update to a less commom hour of
the day.

OK now that you can retrieve the source let's compile them.

Compiling the sources :

It's a classical "./configure, make, make install thing". Here are the
commands to issue step by step, with small explanations.

First you "configure" the sources, ie a script will take care of adapting
the sources to your environnment (eg set up variable to contain the paths
to libs on your computer...), and see if it meets balsa requirement
(almost only libs dependancies). This is done by the following command
issue in the balsa directory (ie the subdirectory named "balsa" in the
directory you created for cvs in the previous section).

./autogen --enable-all

Yes this is not ./configure, but it calls it so no big difference, but the
fact that it does a bit more things than configure (and in the end it
calls it anyway).
This will issue a lot of messages to tell you what it is doing (and to
keep you awake during the rather long process). On success it ends up with
a summary of the options look at it to know if it has all what you want
(eg if you want printing support, look if it has been enabled, we'll see
later what to do if not).
You see that I put a command line option "--enable-all". There are a bunch
of these, this one particularly tells to build balsa with all experimental
parts (for example filters won't be compiled in if you don't use this
option). You can list all options with a short description by

./configure --help

This will give you a lot of Normally this process should succeed, but if
it fails look at the error messages they should tell you what are the
problems. Here is a (live) example (yes I can't build cvs because my
distro is way outdated, and I have a sloooow and expensive dialup
connection :( ) :

checking whether to Gnome-VFS is available... configure: error:
Gnome-VFS(-devel) library is needed to build balsa

It tells you (and me) that we lack Gnome-VFS-devel library. So correct
that (if you can) and retry untill you have no more error messages. You
also have the file "config.log" that tells you a bit more on the reasons
of the errors. If the problems persist (and you feel you have tried all
the thing you could) descibe your problem on the balsa mailing-list to
have some help. But be prepared to be a bit shaked if you haven't tried
hard enough to handle your problem ;-)

OK now your sources are configured, let's compile them. Still in the same
balsa directory just issue the very simple command :

make

That will take care of compiling all sources that have changed (or that
depend on changed files) since the last compile process. Yet another bunch
of messages telling you what it is doing. Especially if a lot of files
have been touched by your last update you can go take a coffee, this is a
bit long (at least on my PII-266MHz). If all goes well (ie no error
message) you have a working balsa. If you get compile error messages you
can send them on the ml (try to see if they have yet been submitted), so
that we can take care of these bugs.
Now either you install balsa (if you have set up a special test account
you can do it safely /* FIXME : am I correct here ?!?! */) or just run it
issuing the following command (always from the balsa directory)

src/balsa

This will run balsa, and you'll see a lot of debugging message scrolling
in the console. This is actually useful because they can be used to track
down a bug.
/* FIXME : specify more things to catch interesting debug messages when
bug occur, like a stderr redir or something else ? */

If you want to install balssa (so that just typing "balsa" on the command
line will run it, or just using you desktop links) issue the following
command (you have to be root) :

make install

Happy testing !!