Re: Balsa OpenSSL problems worse than I expected.

On Mon 06:45, 16 December 2002 Andrew Lau wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 	I've finished my preliminary Balsa 2.0.3-0.1 Debian GNU/Linux
> packages at <http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~alau/debian/>, but to avoid
> contimination by the OpenSSL libraries, I've had to disable SSL
> encryption, multi-threaded mail retrieval (ESMTP)

huh?  The ESMTP protocol is used for mail *submission* not retrieval.  The
OpenSSL issues were discussed on the list over the course of the last year.
LibESMTP can be configured not to link against OpenSSL with minimal loss of
functionality so this, at least, should not be an issue.  Just add
--with-openssl=no when configuring.

> and LDAP support
> since they all result in a Balsa binary linked to
> libssl0.9.6.

OpenLDAP can also be configured not to use OpenSSL.  Just add --with-tls=no
when configuring.

> However, I fear that disabling ESMTP will render the
> package half useless altogether, and not worthy of uploading into
> Debian.

There is no need to do this.  Have a look at the libesmtp package in Debian.

Brian Stafford