Re: Locking again

On 01.08.2002 06:02 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2002.08.01 10:40:19 +0100 Pawel Salek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get lock-up with HEAD when the SSL certificate needs to be confirmed.
>> Can anybody reproduce it? Can anybody confirm that the attached patch
>> fixes the problem?
>>

> around the 14th i discussed this with peter (you should have the messages
> on balsa-maint), iirc the certs callback gets called with gdk locked and
> unlocked from diferent code paths so our goes at fixing it broken in one
> of the cases. i'm attaching my message regarding it
> peter proposed reversing the lock order on all code which might work.
> the most imediate fix would to make imap_open suck again or adding
> wrapers
> for use in each code path - argh

	Hi all,
I would suggest a (temporary) fix for the locking problem : we should just
not drop the gdk lock before calling the imap functions at the very
beginning. This is not optimal from a performance viewpoint but as we know
we'll need it in the middle of the mutt transaction (i.e. with the mutt
lock held), this seems the safest way for me.
I saw the suggestion to reverse the locking order between gdk and libmutt
locks, but I'm not sure this is the right answer to our problem. In
general GUI stuff will call backend stuff, so it seems more natural to
have the order of locking we have now (moreover backend stuff calling GUI
is exceptionnal). But I might be wrong.
Bye
Mau