Re: LibMutt's Base64 Encoding Speed

Am 04.04.02 14:15:14 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
>> I wonder if anyone can offer an alternative or any amendments
>> to Libmutt's Base64 functionalities?
>
> I have noticed it, too. There is a space for optimization at least by
> factor of 2, I think.

A while ago, I tried to investigate this in greater depth (I have a rather
old PowerMac with a 166MHz 604e, so it's a problem which really bites; even
Nutscrape is much faster in en-/decoding than balsa!). It's not only that
the libmutt routines are slow; for one message, the conversion is called
multiple times. If I remember correctly, at least twice (for the message to
be sent plus for the copy in the sentbox). If this is still ture, we could
gain much more that a factor of two (maybe four?) if we introduce some kind
of cache for converted attachments. I have no idea if this breaks MT at some
point, but if it is not too difficult, it would be a great improvement.

> I do not know of any. The attachments are not kept in memory so I guess it
> is the temporary disk space that limits.

Some MTA's have limits on the maximum size for mail reception, typically
several MB's...

Cheers,

	Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de