configure.in == hack !

hello,

the subject says everything. well it's not that hard but
it really needs to be reworked entirely.

reason:

i often reported the pthreads issue that i had now i found
out this happens because of new really new libraries etc.

now when you compile balsa you often get.

-lm -lc -glib -lm -lm -lgtkhtml -lm -lm

etc. in one line. this double assigning of libraries is because
of the sad configure.in file. i have heard people talking about
this issue on #gnome irc channel for a longer time now and that
this issue could also cause problems when linking things together.

now what i did was i went through the configure.in file and changed
a couple of things but then i finally failed because it's so damned
hacked together that you dont exactly know where to start. not to
mention that i have limmited understanding of all these configure
stuff. but i know enough to figure out that many things are done
hacky.

iconv, gtkhtml, gnomeprint, gconf, gdkpixbuf etc. all these things
could be initialized easyly.

libtdl (libtool) specially check for that library is not neccessary
since autoconf provide a special flag for it.

gtkhtml could be get with the gnome-config file so no need to get
it separate,

gnome-print could be get with gnome-config file so no need to get
it separate,

and so on. i also realized that many libraries arent get with the
<libraryname>-config file or their substitue autoconf flags.

there are a bunch of other issues inside that file that are out of
date etc. i compared and reviewed a lot of the contents of different
other gnome specific configure.in files....

i really vote for having this one updated but 'where should i start'
many flags are spread in balsa code too e.g. GDK_HAVE_PIXBUF etc.
we have pixbuf otherwise we wont have gnome :) so asking this one is
obsolete etc..

i was also working on versioning things e.g. having lines like this
at the top of the configure file.

GNOME_REQUIRE=1.2.3
GTK_REQUIRE=1.2.8
GLIB_REQUIRE=1.2.8

any ideas ? is there someone out there on our list, that know more
about this and want to help me doing a good configure.in file ?

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de