Re: What does English mean?

On 2001.09.04 08:25 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 04.09.2001 13:16:17 schrieb(en) Rikke D . Giles:
> > This does come across as xenophobic.  I'd imagine Redhat put this into
> > their distribution because more people (in numbers) might expect
> 'English'
> > to mean American English, and wished to clear up any possible mistakes
> if
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but if I rember my school times
> correctly,
> the biggest english speaking communities are India and Nigeria. I have no
> idea
> about the subtle differences (I am german, and my english is *really*
> bad...),
> but I guess it's more British than American english in these regions. So
> it
> might be nice to make a minority (the americans) the default, but IMHO
> `british english' would be the more logical choice. Anyway, I *don't*
> think
> this would be xenophobic...
>
> Cheers, Albrecht.

That's a great idea.  Make the default British English, then there's no
confusion about which flavor of English is being picked.  The non-defaults
could be American, Canadian, Indian, Australian, Nigerian, New Zealand etc,
etc, English.  I think that's a logical because it specifies which is being
used on installation.  Since almost everyone using XXX_English is going to
assume 'English' means whatever variety they happen to speak, this would
clear up a lot of misunderstanding from the beginning.

Rikke