Slow startup with remote IMAP folder

I just added another IMAP folder set to my mailbox list. This time the
server must be contacted over our somewhat slow link to the outside world.
As a result, the startup time increased significantly. Would it be
possible to:

1) Scan folders in a separate thread.
- or -
2) Don't contact the server until I actually try to access one of its
mailboxes and/or expand the UI's associated tree entry? (Which I don't do
very often for this particular server.)

--
Toralf Lund <toralf@kscanners.com>  +47 66 85 51 22
Kongsberg Scanners AS               +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)