retrieving email ?

I apologize for the simple nature of this email, I tried searching the
archives first, but am not getting any responses... at least not using the
terms that I am... Any point in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I am trying to setup balsa on my rh 7.1 box (the version that came with rh
7.1, don't know it off the top of my head).  It appears to be sending mail
fine, but I can't for the life of me get it to retrieve mail.

I set the mailbox at /home/mike/mail/, but balsa is complaining that this
isn't a valid mailbox.  What constitutes a 'valid' mailbox ?

Does balsa not go out and retrieve mail ?  Do I need to setup another
program to actually hit the pop server and retrieve my mail to the mailbox
and use balsa to read it ?  I guess I'm just a little confused here...

Thanks for the help in advance,
Mike