1.2.1 feedback

Hi all,

Just trying 1.2.1 (this message is the first message I've sent from any
balsa version for a long while...)

Some comments:

a) config.guess and config.sub

Still old versions.  Pawel wrote that they are generated files.  I believe
they are not, as such: they are *copied* files, just copied from your
autoconf installation.  There would be no harm in just downloading newer
ones from ftp.gnu.org/gnu/config, or your local mirror.  I include newer
ones in debian from there, anyhow.

b) Marking message read

Personal bugbear.  If I flick to a mailbox briefly, it highlights the
oldest unread message.  That causes it to be read, which unmarks it ;-)
Personally, I sometimes mark a message unread to remind myself 'Do
something about this'. I don't want it to become read just because I flick
past the mailbox.

Oops.  Egg on face.  There's an option for this one: Automatically view
message on mailbox open.  Wicked.  Thanks!

Finally, just so you guys know, there's one magic feature which would be
required before I'd switch to balsa for general use from home:  Caching
IMAP.  My mail is all stored remotely, my connection is only 112Kbps,
which makes downloading big mailboxes unacceptably slow.  My dream mail
client would cache everything it knows about IMAP mailboxes (only the
headers if that's all its downloaded, but also any messages it has had to
download). When I loaded the mail client again, it would use the UIDS (and
the LASTUID) feature to sync its view of the world with the server in
minimum bytes transferred.  I know that a persistent on-disk cache is
quite a bit of work... but it would Rock!

As it is, I may switch to balsa at work (much faster net connection) once
they upgrade my desktop machine to a newer GNOME...

I'll upload debian 1.2.1 packages shortly,

Keep up the good work!

Jules

PS I like the new icons too!