Re: Build problems: C++ code in pspell and new RPM-SPEC files

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Ali Akcaagac wrote:

> yeah thats a curious versioning thing it remembers me of the
> lazyness of maths people they also dont write the leading
> zero.. cant tell you why.

Good:-)

> >    So gcc cannot find the C++ Library and is unable to find some
> >    symbols in libspell. One fix was, linking with g++ instead of gcc
> >    and adding "-lpspell-modules".
>
> yeah you commented the previous thing out and then you add -lpspell
> afterwards how serious..

Did you read my mail? ("-lpspell" is not "-lpspell-modules".) I had to
comment out the "pspell"-check, because it didn't work with my pspell
and pspell-packages.

> but oki its for sure not your fault the problem with many nowadays
> distros are that they permanently TWEAK packages with their own
> patches this often lead into some incompatibilities.

> well i really recommend you call up SUSE for this and tell them to
> make their packs more compatible with other commercial distributions.

Why is it a SuSE problem? I made RPM packages for me and used the SPEC
files from balsa (in source), libesmtp (in source) and pspell (from
SuSE) as a templates. You find MY specs in my the previous mail.

Sure, I can wait for the next Ximian GNOME Desktop or the next SuSE
distribution. But I liked to see balsa-1.2.0 before and this took me 1
day working time, because of all the configuration bugs. And my
previous mail was a summary of these bugs and suggestions for making
it better.

> thats SUSE who install into /opt/gnome. i for my side dont count
> myself as one of the many people.

I don't think, this is only SuSE. But anyway, I think, it is a very
good idea to install GNOME in /opt/gnome. If you install
GNOME-Software in "/usr/bin", why X-Window-Programs should be
installed in "/usr/X11/bin"? It's a question of a good file system
hierarchy.

Bye, Björn

--
Björn Voigt <bjoern@cs.tu-berlin.de>