Re: POP3 Audit

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 04:02:55PM +0200, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> i collected a bunch of notes now:
>
> - /lib/libpthreads.so uses libgcc_s.so where i know that
>   libgcc_s.so is binary incompatible with gcc3.x and glibc2.2.x
>   on the otherhand, i then ask myself why 2/3 of balsa code works
>   perfectly with threads.

the idea i got so far is, g/pthreads is a mess. pthreads overloads some
glibc stuff (like exec and malloc - rings a bell ? :)) and at least in
my build the symbols don't have the most correct weak/strong relations. so
you get really fun stuff if you don't link glibc/pthreads/gthreads in the
correct order. i don't even want to know about gcc3 and newer glibc yet,
which prolly introduce some more oddities.

> - i know that C-Locale is not thread save. i use C-Locale right now
>   i can export LANG to something differently but thats not the issue
>   to... 2/3 of balsa code still works that way.

it isn't ? i was under the impression glibc stuff locale was thread safe. oh
my.

> i know that whenever balsa enters check_message_thread i need to single
> step in there. in there it goes to check_mailbox_list and there it
> catches with the gtk_emitt function.. then on the other hand, why does
> as melanie described pthread work if you disable the progressing dialog
> window and keep balsa checking in bg...

note, if i'm not mistaken without threads signal emissions are only
processed you return to gtk main loop as oposed to threaded code.
i don't know if it's relevant here, but some times leads to diferent
results.

dude, tkx again for you hard work!

[sig out on holidays]