Re: balsa problems, probably esmtp related, probably my own system

On Fri,  5 October 10:37 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
>  hello,
>   i noticed a strange behaviour that really is annoying
>  sometimes when on irc i detect that i am logged in with
>  ipnumbers instead of resolved isp name. this wont hurt
>  much since nettraffic works perfectly, i can join irc,
>  i can pop3 my mails.. but sending mails wont work since
>  theres a part in balsa that wont understand that i cant
>  resolve the isp name currently.
>   e.g. i have smtp-1.ewetel.de written as my outgoing mailer
>  now i think that esmtp wants to sent this mail to this
>  resolved ip, now that i am logged into the new unresolved
>  it wont understand that it has to try the rawip address
>  to sent the mail.. at least something like this. i can
>  still do something like ping smtp-1.ewetel.de but i cant
>  sent the mail out when i was given an ipnumber instead
>  of resolved name... sounds strange now but i cant explain
>  it differently.. any ideas ?

Unless you have an unusual system, libESMTP will use the system's
getaddrinfo() to resolve names to IP addresses.  This takes
two arguments, a hostname and a service name.  These resolve to
a list of parameters for socket() and connect() to use.  On
linux systems, the list is configured to try IPv6 then IPv4
for AAAA and A records corresponding to the host name.  If the
DNS lists multiple AAAA/A records for a host, libESMTP will try
*all* of them before giving up.

IIRC, getaddrinfo() is not required to interpret address literals
e.g. stuff like 127.0.0.1, but I've never found this to be a problem
usually if gethostbyname accepts it,  so does getaddrinfo.

Not a solution, but it might help trace the problem.

Brian.