Compose problems on CVS balsa

I'm having a problem with the composition window on the current CVS.
When I reply to a message, the To field in the compose window is garbage.
Frequently, it comes up as "ISO8859-8" (or somesuch), but I have seen other
things there.  Also, the From field comes up blank, both when replying, and
composing a new message.  When I select a different identity, it is filled
in with the correct name, but the <email@address> part never shows up.
And if I let balsa exit normally, it erases the name on my default identity.

At first I thought it was something I had done, but I wiped out my copy,
and checked out a clean version from CVS, ran autogen.sh, and make, and
the symptoms were still there.  I haven't been able to track anything down.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

--
Steve Wall