Re: Balsa: Reply ordering?

On 2001.11.07 06:57 Czerteak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all, I must thank you for creating such good software.
>
> I've got a little tiny question: How does Balsa handle replies? When I
> send a reply to some message, it shows one level deeper in the tree.
> The same situation when I receive some answer. That's right, that's
> exactly what I want. The problem is, that sometimes this doesn't seem
> to work. If you tell me what information is expected in the message
> (by Balsa) to make it appear at the lower level, I will edit my
> message sources myself to make them appear OK. Or even more, wouldn't
> it be a nice feature, if I drag the message and drop it on a different
> one to make it the second message's reply?
>
> Thanks a lot for your tips...
> Czerteak
>
> P.S.: Please, excuse my TERRIBLE English...

Message threading is based on the `References' headers. Iirc, `simple
threading' looks at only the last reference, and if a (parent) message
with that id is found in the mailbox index, the message becomes a child
of that parent. That is, the child is a direct reply to the parent.

`JWZ threading' tries harder to find a parent, but as a result, you
can't assume that a message is a direct reply to the parent--some
intermediate messages may not be present.

You could fake threads by messing with header lines--but I have an
uncomfortable feeling that it's a bad idea.

HTH

Disclaimer: I've never worked with this code, so my understanding of it
is questionable!