Re: Balsa and GPG

El 08 May 2001 16:25:07 +0200, Pawel Salek escribió:

> On 2001-05-08 15:59 Marc Soda wrote:
> > I know this has been asked a hundred times, but I found no answer in
> > the archives.  Does Balsa support GPG/PGP?  If so how do I set it up,
> > if not can I do anything to help with the development of this feature?
>
> There were some patches around that were close to being accepted but
> never made it to the CVS tree because of some alleged problems with
> security of the approach
>
> You may want to contact Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
> <jose@jaimedelamo.eu.org> (he is sometimes around), the
> Seahorse(-bonobo) developer (http://seahorse.sourceforge.net) which
> claimed that if balsa had bonobo support, it could use Seahorse for
> PGP/GPG encryption.

 Hello!

  I use to read the list, but I am a little (very) busy, so usually I
have no time to reply.

 Ok, I am going to try to explain what seahorse-bonobo currently does
(Seahorse is only a front-end to gnupg, wich also has a keymanager).

  Seahorse-bonobo is a little component made on top of gpgme (GnuPG Made
Easy), a library being developed by Werner Koch (GnuPG's author). What
seahorse-bonobo adds is some of the things that every application
wanting to add gnupg support must implement. I mean, the dialog for
asking the user for the passphrase, a window asking the user which
recipient he wants to use for encypting a key, a configure dialog for
gnupg (seahorse) in which the user can select wich of their secret keys
(if more than one) he wants to use for signing a mail...
  And the dialog, the configuration screen, etc, will be the same if you
are using Balsa, Evolution, PAN, or even Seahorse itself.

   And not only this, what Bonobo try to do is that little applications
can be build and later used all them together. So adding bonobo support
in Balsa not only is useful for being able to use seahorse-bonobo. You
can also use gnome-spell, to check the mails, eog to see the attached
pictures from a lot of formats (and not only in a different window, but
also embedded on the same window, ... (Of course, it will also be able
to show a gnumeric sheet, but perhaps this won't be very used ;-)

   Of course is Balsa who must take care of MIME types and all the
things that a MUA must do. This is not and _cannot_ be a part of
seahorse-bonobo.

   In conclusion,  Bonobo is the technology that is going to be widely
used in GNOME (after all the O in GNOME is for `Object`). And
seahorse-bonobo is one of those components. :-)

   Regards!

--
José Carlos García Sogo         Seahorse(-bonobo) developer
jose jaimedelamo eu org         http://seahorse.sourceforge.net

Key-Id: 0x90788E11
Fingerprint = B06B 023F EAA6 37DC 1E62  B079 4BE0 5825 9078 8E11