A question about IMAP

My apologies if this has been discussed - I looked in the list archives and
didn't find anything about it, so...

I just started using Balsa 1.1.4 having not used any version previously.
First impressions - great! Once I figured out how to get IMAP folders
working, it's wonderful. Does almost everything I need, and better than
Mozilla Mail does it too (having just discovered the joys of Galeon I
needed a decent e-mail client to use, hence Balsa).

However, there is a major niggle in the time it takes Balsa to check for
new messages on the IMAP server. It's at least five times longer than
Mozilla (which is frequently barely noticeable as I'm on a LAN connection
to the mail server) - is this normal or is it just me? As I was typing this
Balsa took almost 50 seconds to check for new mail - I don't think it's the
server because I use the same one for SMTP and that's working great.

Unfortunately I don't have any other IMAP-capable mail clients to test it
with.

Regards,
Matt