general balsa first-time user frustrations

Hey Folks,
Just got Balsa (1.1.6) installed, moved two accounts over to it (one
consisting of imap folders, the other pop3).  Works absolutely
wonderfully to read my mail, but I do have some frustrations:

1) Can't send mail.  Using libesmtp 0.8.2...tried three different
     smtp servers, none work.  Why is this?  This is a major downer.
     And no, it's not because I've got the wrong recipient or any
     thing basically stupid like that.

2) Connected to first frustration; only error messages I get are
     "Message delivery problem, placing it into your outbox..."
     This is useless.  I could use a little more information than
     this.  Noticed some other folks posts they got some info from
     (apparently) logs...why don't I have that/where does that
     information go?  Got nothing in any of my system logs.  Hmm.

3) Why is it that when I change the option for _outgoing_ word wrap,
     it determines how the messages I've _received_ will look?  It's
     not such a big deal, as what I send is gonna be the same as what
     I read...but maybe the better question is, why the #$*& is my
     composition window so damn wide!?  What's with the 30 character or
     so right margin?  I got limited real-estate here folks.  If you
     don't see the connection, try changing your preview font to
     something like helvetica at 14, word wrap at 75 characters, then
     compose a message (oh, my resolution is 1024 by 768).  Ridiculous.

4) The 'unread' and 'total' figures seem to disappear (on the left,
     the folder listings are what I'm talking about) at a certain
     point...haven't nailed down what this behavior is yet specifically,
     but they do disappear.  Whazzat?

Okay, don't mean to sound like a total crank.  I do want to thank the
developers for building an otherwise fine (from my simple user
perspective) free MUA.  It's gonna be awesome once I can just send mail.

Let me know if I need to give some more details.  Thanks for any help.
-Dave D.