Balsa Aaarrgh, Kmail works fine

I am still having problems sending and receiving from balsa.  It's hard to
pin down what is and what's not happening.

Firstly, it doesn't appear to be an ISP problem.  I can send and receive
messages from Win2000.

I can also use kmail, which I am using to type this.  So if you get this and
I also see it in the list then it's presumably not a Kmail or Linux problem.

What I can do in Balsa is sent myself messages at rkimber@ntlworld.com.
These are received OK by Balsa.

However,  I do not seem to be able to send messages to the great beyond,
although I can received messages sent to me. I have no way of knowing whether
I'm receiving them all.  I have a convenient way of testing my sending
problem.  I have an account on a system separate from NTL that is configured
to forward any messages it receives on to the NTL account.  When I send from
Balsa I never get them returned.  With Kmail and with Win2000 they come back
almost instantly.  I have sent several messages to this list that have not
appeared (at least I have not seen them and no one has made reference to them.

The only difference that I am aware of between Kmail and Balsa is that with
the latter I am using procmail to filter messages.  This seems to be working
OK (balsa messages go in the balsa folder, etc).  I have the remote smtp
server configured as
smtp.ntlworld.com:25
as recommended by someone in the list.
Local mail is
/home/psrwebs/mail
where the various folders are
and the pop server is
pop.ntlworld.com with port 110 plus username and password.
I have compiled libesmtp-0.8.3 and balsa-1.1.7 from source.  I had to turn
off threads to get anything to work, and printing was not enabled.
================ Final configuration ===================
    Installing into prefix: /usr/local
      Using multithreading: no
 Using incomplete features: no
Installing some files into
            Gnome's prefix: yes (may require root privileges)
   Enable compile warnings: yes
                Use ESMTP : yes
               Use GtkHTML: no
                  Use LDAP: no
                   Use GSS: no
                   Use SSL: no
          Printing support: no (gnome-print >= 0.25 required)

Another issue is that I have set balsa up not to delete messages from the
sever (I don't want to lose anything while I'm testing) yet I am not
receiving any multiple copies of messages.

I'd appreciate any advice on this before I give up and return to kmail :(

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
rkimber@ntlworld.com