Re: Balsa and IMAP (again)

On Sat, 14 July 22:46 Pawel Salek wrote:
> On 2001.07.14 20:48 M . Thielker wrote:
> > I would like to have the message counts of all mailboxes, but at least
> > all
> > IMAP mailboxes displayed next to the folder names at startup. The way to
> > implement this is quite obvious, but it does involve more than just
> > simple changes to libmutt.
>
> I would either have libmutt completely replaced or messed with as little as
> possible because this made possible syncing this directory with mutt
> possible. But I am open for compromises.
>

> > Before I get into this, I would like to know which, if any, projects are
> > underway to change the handling of IMAP and/or augment/replace libmutt. I
> > had myself started doing a new library for IMAP and mbox, but had soon
> > found out that there's more to that than meets the eye.
>
> Nice GPL-ed, RFC-compatible IMAP access routines would be nice.

Actually the basic client engine in libESMTP isn't so far off whats needed
for IMAP, particularly since the basic logic handles buffering and pipelining
SASL and a wheen of other desirable features.

Sadly, IMAP is something of a more complex protocol than SMTP so a robust
client is rather more of a challenge.  But I might be up for it, now libESMTP
is edging to stability...

Brian Stafford