How does Balsa store new messages?

Hi!

Can anyone please tell me how Balsa writes new messages in the inbox file
after the button "Check" is clicked? Or the processes that Balsa does after
retrieving new messages from the Post Office using Pop3?

I have dived into the function,
void check_new_messages_cb(GtkWidget * widget, gpointer data),
in src/main-window.c,
to discover what Balsa does after the user clicked the button "Checked".
Unfortunately, it seems to me that Balsa posts the new messages right into
the tree. Am I looking at the right function? If not, which function is
writing new messages content in the inbox file physically on the hard disk?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Timothy Ang