Fwd: Balsa default mail submission on TCP port 587, not port 25 [major satx rr com]

On 2001.07.02 07:16 major wrote:

> I am currently using Balsa 1.1.6 and libesmtp 0.8.2. Apparently Balsa will
> use TCP port 587 for Mail Message Submission by default, in accordance with
> RFC2476 (see http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html), and not TCP port 25 as
> most persons seem to expect. I have noticed several messages on the
> balsa-list@gnome.org mailing list which seem to show a misdiagnosis of
> this behavior as various other problems related to firewalls, Domain Name
> System timeouts, and unreproducible wierdness. The main symptom reported is
> that mail submission takes an extremely long time to produce an error
> message, and then the message is queued in the Outbox. By using tcpdump, I
> have observed six connection attempts on TCP port 587 that are not answered
> by my mail server, which apparently is not in compliance with RFC2476. To
> compensate for this problem, simply specify the use of TCP port 25 in
> Balsa's "Remote SMTP Server" preference under the "Mail Servers" tab. For
> example, if I use "smtp-server.satx.rr.com." as my Remote SMTP Server
> specification, Balsa will use TCP port 587, but if I use
> "smtp-server.satx.rr.com.:25", Balsa will use TCP port 25.

I submitted the previous message, but I did not realize that only list
members could post without moderator approval. I received notification that
my message awaited moderator approval, but that notification did not
specify how long the moderator might take to approve; so I have joined the
balsa-list@gnome.org mailing list, and I am reposting my initial
submission. I apologize if this repost results in a message duplication.

major@satx.rr.com