Unable to pop mails

Hi All

Today I moved from windows outlook express to balsa on
linux. I am having a basic problem in configuration (
downloading messages from my mail server using pop).

This is  my configuration
Pentium III 600 Mhz
red hat 7.1 with XFS
balsa 1.1.7

balsa settings

mail box  : xyz
server    : mail.xyz.com
port      : 25
user Name : xyz@abc.com ( symbol @ in user name)
password  : xxxxxx

i am able to send mails but I am unable to receive.
mails, when I do get mail, I get following error.

POP3 mailbox xyz.com accessing error:POP command
exection failed.

I don't want to use windows just because I have to
access my mail.

thanks
Deepak