Re: balsa no-thread crash detected

On 2001.08.23 23:01:18 +0200 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> So, if I understand correctly nonthreaded balsa
>
> * hangs with more than 1 pop3 box
> * hangs when using sendmail

no partially correct.

compiling balsa with pthreads (--enable-threads) balsa works perfectly on
my system e.g. i can access the local mailboxes with the pthreads code like
a charm, i can sent messages with libesmtp or either sendmail, depends what
i compiled, like a charm.

but

reciving pop3 messages usually 'exits balsa' or hang balsa and locks the
popr3 up (need to wait some minutes until pop3 account timeouts)

now because of this, the majority has to (--disable-threads) within balsa
now everything works perfectly, you can sent, pop, access local mailboxes
etc. but pressing 'check' several times causes balsa to CRASH. a backtrace
gives the only info that it accesses address 0 or something. at least
catching this segfault under GDB is nearly impossible it only happens if
you start balsa the way it is.

i announced this some months, weeks, days ago and the feedback was only
by 1-2 persons trying to help me but there are a bunch of people also these
i met on IRC that report similar things.

> I can't reproduce either of that. Could the people experienceing hangs
> please report if url-click also hangs for you.

haven't tried this yet. will report you asap.

> Also, could you please list gnome and libc versions, distro, whatever you
> consider relevant.

gnome 1.4.1
glibc 2.2.3 (but that pthreads thing is a know issue back to 2.1.x days)
since i am using a bunch of gnome apps with pthreads compiled in, i cant
think of a broken system or something.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de