Re: PATCH: Compose Coordinates *FINAL 3*

On 2001.08.21 23:34:23 +0200 christophe barbe wrote:
> I've tested your patch. It's really nice except that I've a 800x600 screen
> and I can't see the first cell.

eek, yes i didnt paid attention for this but thanks for pointing out.

> The problem is that you have used usize to set the cell size (and they are
> oversize).
>
> This is a big problem because I can't resize the compose window to my
> prefered size and the window is two times larger that the width needed for
> the text (for my settings, my font choice).
>
> So I prefer the new look but I hate usize and then I prefer the previous
> patch.
>
> I understand this was a hard work (It takes me several days to add a little
> option in the preferences DB) but I think you prefer to know it now.
>
> Would it be possible to decrease the cell size?
> Ideally avoid usize and if not possible use the width of "Words: 8888" ....

yes i have thought about this the first time before sending the patch to the
mailinglist. but here some issues.

if i use 'words: 8888' as width and 'size: 00000000 bytes' and this one
continued for each cell then it gives us cells with different sizes each
time. this looks terribly.

if i use 'words: 8888' but then i get 'words: 10000' with one value more then
it doesnt fit into the box anymore.

but yes, i can decrease some of the cells. from 20 chars to 16-18 chars summed
up to all fields this gives us more space but now i need to pay attention for
the first time balsa starup with 640x480 pixels. the previous balsa-coordinates5
patch doesnt care if the screen is sized big or not since its only one string.
the code for it is far easier.

> Would it be possible to put the status bar in a container to allow the user
> to resize its compose window up to 0 even if the whole status bar can be
> displayed ?

i offer you another alternative. that probably fits our all needs. well the
balsa-coordinates5.patch (the old single line one) is a bit hard to read. the
idea with the balsa-coordinates6.patch (the new one with cells) is excellent.
but not suitable for people with little screensizes.

here a alternative for all this.