Re: "file:" URLs?

Am 20.08.2001 12:03:59 schrieb(en) Brian Stafford:
> as is desired.  I think the functionality as it stands is about right.

Thanks, but I still need to support news/nntp URI's...

> Well, that's a little unfair on telnet.  The STARTTLS command is defined
> for telnet.  A properly configured server will implement it and refuse
> to continue without negotiating the TLS connection.  This avoids the need
> for extra ports etc and preserves the huge raft of options and functionality
> that telnet provides.  The blame belongs with the implementation, not the
> protocol.

Well, I've seen *so* many hacks by password snooping, hijacking connections,
... with telnet, rsh, rlogin and friends that I decided to deactivate it.
Please don't get me wrong, I know that telnet servers *could* do better. But
for some strange reason users tend to still use these insecure methods and
just refuse to use ssh, even if it simplifies a lot of things (setting
DISPLAY, ...).

BTW, pop3 and imap are also vulnerable by password snooping (use a tcp sniffer
at that port and just look into the logs to see what I mean!), so the
pop3s/imaps implementation is really important. Unfortunately, not every
provider does support them.

> > Maybe, later, ssh will be in the RFC's...
>
> IIRC, there is an effort under way to do just this.

So this should go into balsa 1.3 ;-))

Cheers, Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcormail.de