Re: URL handling broken?

On Thu, Aug 16 2001 09:56:08 Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 16.08.2001 13:16:07 schrieb(en) Toralf Lund:
> [snip]
> > That's odd... In any case,
> [snip]
> > -	    gnome_execute_shell(NULL, exe_str);
> > +	    system(exe_str);
> [snip]
> > makes the problem go away. I don't think it's the right thing to do,
> > though...
>
> gnome_execute_shell (and also gnome_show_url, which calls this function) seems
> to be somewhat broken, if I remember correctly at least on smp machines.
>
> There was a discussion about exactly the same problem a few days (weeks?) ago.
> I did not follow this discussion in detail, maybe there's something
> interesting in the archives...
>
> Cheers, Albrecht.

I have an old dual PII and since I upgraded from RedHat 6.2 to
RedHat 7.1, I have had these problems with threaded balsa.  I have
not had much time to look into it further and have lately just been
running the non-threaded balsa without these problems.  This problem
happens on both plain text email with the URL highlighting and html
email with the gtkhtml library.  Are they both using the same
function to call the external web browser?

Do these functions come from glib or gnome-libs and is it a known
problem with threaded apps on smp systems?

~Jason

| Jason A. Smith                     E-mail:  smithj4_rpi@yahoo.com  |
| Physics Department                 Phone:   (518)276-2050          |
| Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute   FAX:     (518)276-6680          |
| Troy, NY 12180-3590                WWW:          N/A               |