Re: [RFC] send mails and identity

Le 2001.08.14 23:31:17 +0200, Gordon Oliver a écrit :
> On 2001.08.14 08:02 christophe barbé wrote:
> >
> > Le mar, 14 aoû 2001 14:19:56, M . Thielker a écrit :
> > > How does that cause duplicates?
> >
> > Because when you get a "waiting moderator approval", the mail is
> > certainly
> > approved by the moderator but because you have already resent it, it
> > finishes in double in the ml.
>
> err, that sounds like pilot error...

Could explain more that ?

> > I agree that we need to add an option to basically inform user when no
> > magic ID was choosen. It can be more elaborate too.
>
> What happened to the idea (that I saw here) to put the ID's as a combo
> box on 'From:'. This has two advantages, first that the selected ID is
> obvious from looking, and second, that it is easier to change (the
> current
> "select identity"->(click on new identity)->OK is painful).
>
> (Messy Idea) We could also put a combo box in, along with two small
> checkboxes
> (or another combo box - yuck) that allow the user to set this as the
> default for the folder or the user. It sounds a bit ugly, but it would
> allow the user control in a relatively non-intrusive manner.

Yes I don't forget my combobox proposition. I've looked in code for it and
it sound not so easy because the from field is not only a gtk text widget.
I hope to do it soon but I need to learn more about gtk before. But if
somebody wants to do it, please code it.

But this will just gracefully replace the ID selection dialog box and not
solve the remaining issue.

> If we try to automatically do this it would involve making a choice
> between
> folder mappings and user mappings (perhaps as a preference)

This seems solvable.

> Note that as a first guess, I'd say that if one of the ID's is in the
> set of (To:, CC:) that should always be taken as the ID (that would
> cover all but mailing lists and blind copies)

My opinion: Code it and see.

> > > The sequence would be thus:
> > > Click "Send"
> > > Confirm Identity dialog pops up
> > > Click "Remember..."
> > > Add Rule dialog pops up, filled in with defaults.
> > > Edit, then click OK
> >
> > This remember me somethings (in Evolution). This could be done.
>
> garg... this sounds _very_ painful.
> I hate mouse clicking when I don't have to... I also hate
> intrusive UI's... I'd rather see a combo type box showing the
> current ID so that the user can easily choose.

Yes, I'm convinced this will be customizable.