Re: Building with libiconv

On 2001.08.11 06:52 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On 2001.08.10 17:22:25 +0100 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
>
> > Well, currently my hack to configure.in replaces iconv with giconv and
> > iconv_open with libiconv_open so that you have:
> >
> > AC_CHECK_LIB(giconv, libiconv_open, , [
> > 	AC_CHECK_FUNC(libiconv_open, , [
> > 		AC_MSG_ERROR([*** You need giconv for libmutt.])
> > 		])
> > 	])
> >
> > Note that I have to pass gcc the paths to the header and the library
> > explicitly by setting (in the environment)
> > CPPFLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include" and LIBS=-L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lgiconv"
> > where LOCALBASE is set by my build environment (by default)
> to/usr/local.
> > If this isn't done, the test will fail.
>
> Noted.
>
> You might want to get the current libxml2 tarball from
> http://xmlsoft.org/
> and look over that to see if it workss with your configuration.
> It has had similar problems with the use of libiconv but the solution
> proposed
> is rather more comprehensive than that in balsa or libmutt.
>
> Brian Stafford

Well, the answer is "yes" it works with a few modifications.  "libxml2" is
used by Enlightenment 0.16.5 which just happens to be the window manager
for my setup.  The configure.in needs to be patched to use "giconv.h",
"libiconv()", and "-lgiconv" where appropriate, but the test works just
fine.  Attached is the diff for configure.in used by FreeBSD.

jmc

patch-ab