Selection suggestions, reflowing messages and paragraphs

Hi there,

I have a Balsa 1.1.7 installation compiled with -enable-gtkhtml. Sometimes
I want to copypaste large parts of my E-Mail ... however. Balsa's
text-window doesn't scroll when I am at the bottom of the page selecting
text my text. My personal solution for this is the "Select all" option and
then copypaste all in the destination object.. there I start removing.
(Actually I use a program that I have programmed myself: netclip, but more
about this below. This aint a spam mail for it heh :)

Another thing that I have noticed is the fact that if I close an email in
which I have been selecting text.. and lets say I go to a "New Message" box
and want to paste that selection to it. The selection has been reset. I
know that this is an X problem .. I know how selections work in X .. an
object (Widget) gets the selection ownership and once you destroy that
object .. the selection is gone with it. However, a Balsa selection could
be used for this.. for example on keycombination ctrl+ins the selected text
goes in balsa's own copypaste buffer (and an object with that text gets the
selection ownership in X) and shift+ins pastes that text. I am the autor of
netclip which is a program to copypaste over (small,local networks) you
could use it's source to see how getting and setting the clipboard in X
works but there are also very good examples available on gtk.org. My
personal fix for this is using netclip :) I select the text, let netclip
get that text and there I hold the selection .. go to my "New Message" box
and paste the text.

I don't care "a lot" about the selection problems in X in most programs,
but for my E-Mails I am processing a lot text sometimes. And the copypaste
problems are often very annoying :(.

Another option .. pan has this one. Rewrap text in pan will not rewrap
my signature. However, reflow message in balsa will :-\. Also when I use
paragraphs like this :

1.1 Title
  1.1.1 subtitle
    1.1.1.1 Subtitle

1.2 Title
  1.2.1 subtitle
    1.2.1.1 Subtitle

2.0 Title
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

Title
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

And I reflow the paragraphs .. I get this :

1.1 Title 1.1.1 subtitle 1.1.1.1 Subtitle

1.2 Title 1.2.1 subtitle 1.2.1.1 Subtitle

2.0 Title
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

Title texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext
texttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttexttext

The 2.0 dialog seems to work, but the "Title' dialog not :-\. Cause of the
signature issue and the way paragraphs are recognised I "never" use Reflow
Message but always Reflow Paragraph on each paragraph that I want to
reflow. This way the "Reflow Message" is a foobar option for me ... :-\

Btw .. This is what pan's rewrap function does with the sample text :
No problems at all here !! Well I sometimes write my mailbody in the
pan editor cause of this.. and then I paste it back to balsa.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ pandora.be