Re: Spell check in a dialog box.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Ian Campbell wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Would it involve a whole lot of pain to have the spell checking widget in
> a separate window? I find the swapping of the addresses etc a little
> 'unusual'.

Hmm, it's the way Netscape did it in Navigator, and it made sense to me.
Also I thought it was good to keep the spell check closely associated with
the message in case someone runs two spell checks on different messages at
the same time.

However the spell checking widget is subclassed from GtkFrame, so it's easy
to put anywhere we want, instead of putting it in a notebook we make a new
window and put it in that.  The only difficulty I can possibly see is it
might make the persistance of ignored words difficult to do (between spell
checks).  It doesn't currently do this, but I was planning on adding it.

> BTW, Have you seen http://gtkspell.sourceforge.net? It does MSword style
> hiliting of misspelled words. (Sorry to keep pointing you at different
> spell check implementations, but a whole host of them have sprung up
> recently it seems..)

Yeah, I took a look at it before I started Balsa's spell checking.  However
it looks pretty hacked together, it's not a library (it's a file you copy
into your program), it doesn't use pspell, and it only works on GtkText.  I
wanted something that could be made to work on gtkhtml when we finally get
that going, and would allow people to use ispell or aspell, depending on
what they had.

Plus, I always turn that stupid highlighting "feature" off in Word :-)

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther                       Friends are relatives you make for
mguenthe@engr.uvic.ca                  yourself.