Removing the use of Gnome Canvas

[ I sent something like this yesterday, but I haven't seen the message yet, so
I'll repeat myself (at the risk of being boring)]

Has anyone else done any work on removing the use of the canvas for displaying
messages?

I have started to rewrite the BalsaMessage object with one which uses an icon
box, with an icon for each part, clicking an icon shows that part.. So far
I've
only done text parts, using a GtkText, but I intend to support all the types
that were supported before.

So, is anyone also doing anything similar? I would hate to be wasting my time.

Cheers,
Ian.

--
Ian Campbell