Re: Alias support

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Berend De Schouwer wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:23:50 Peter Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > I've never used XChat.  What is good tab-completion?  What is bad
> > > tab-completion?
> >
> > It will complete things incorrectly, and it will always complete even
> > if what you've typed is ambiguous... if fejj and federico are in a
> > channel,
> > fe<tab> will automatically bring it out to "federico: ". Really
> > annoying.
>
> Duly noted.  Currently planning on:
> Before:
>   f<tab>
> After:
>   fe|derico
> Tab again:
>   fe|jj
> Tab again:
>   fe|derico
>
> Note the cursor (represented by |) doesn't move to the end.
> If I can, I'll highlight [derico] and/or [jj].  Contrast this with:
> Before:
>   fed<tab>
> After:
>   federico, |
>
> Is this good?  Is this bad?

This sounds good to me, except for the case of say "jo", where you might
have a dozen entries beginning with that sequence of letters.  If you missed
the one you wanted you'd have to cycle through the whole list again.  Maybe
if there's only a few it works the way you described, but if there's a larger
number of completions it pops up a dialog with a list of to pick from.  Or
perhaps the dialog can be brought up by pressing a different key.

> I've been struggling for a day now with a bad pointer received
> from GCompletion, and I can't find it :(.  Time to sit back,
> relax, and "man gdb".

Try using DDD (The Data Display Debugger), it's a graphical frontend to gdb,
and has helped me debug a number of tricky problems.

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther                  The squeaky wheel doesn't always get
mguenthe@engr.uvic.ca             the grease... Sometimes it gets replaced.