Re: Balsa and Redhat giving me gip

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, paul lewis wrote:

> Some time ago, I posted a request for assistance with my Balsa
> installation. I had
> been having chronic problems with my underlying RH6.0 installation
> which were
> quite possibly contributing to Balsa's unstable behaviour on my
> system.
>
> I subsaquently performed a reinstallation of RH6.0 which cleared a
> number of
> the underlying issues. However now I am unable to get Balsa to install
> from either
> the .cvs or .rpm versions.

What's the error?

> When I install balsa0.8x using the rpm package the software will not
> start at all.
> if I run balsa from the terminal prompt it reports an error in shared
> libraries and
> complains that it is unable to find .balsarc. It shouldn't find the
> configuration file
> because this is the first time Balsa has tried to run on this machine.
> It should go
> into its configuration routine.

Correct. Balsa has a very nice wizard to walk you through setting it up
for the first time.

> libPropList has been installed. But when trying to install balsa-0.8
> or balsa 0.9
> versions GnomeRPM complains of dependency errors for libPropList.

I've noticed that if you install by hand, RPMs may not detect the presence
of something that is actually installed and working. This is why RPM has a
"nodeps" option to ignore dependancy checks.

> I have tried to install the .tar.gz versions both 0.8x and 0.9x but
> they both give
> errors during ./compile and complain of glib libries not being
> present. I know
> glib is present on the system since as the .compile helpfully tells me
> the libries
> are required by Gnome and Gnome is running fine.

Please post the error. The problem may be that RH6.0 has an older version
of the glib libraries, and it can't find the newer ones which balsa may
very well need.

> Perhaps somebody can assist me to track this problem down and resolve
> it.

If you're reporting a problem, symptoms are good. Actually cutting and
pasting the error helps even more, because we can then see precisely what
is going on.

I've got to get the newest version of Balsa running on my system... been
out of commission for a while and I'd like to get back into the swing of
things.

--
Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688