Re: Patch to fix the DATA bug

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, Pawel Salek wrote:

> On  7 Apr, Fellmann Joaquim wrote:
> >
> > Pawel, you corrected this one, don't you ?
>
> Yes, and may be no. I mean balsa behaves properly for the case with
> properly quoted From, or reply-to string, i.e. when one gets From: "Salek,
> Pawel" <pawsa@xxx>, the quotes won't be removed and the reply will be send
> to the only one address.
>
> But I have impression that if the from line is From: Salek, Pawel
> <pawsa@xxx>, the quotation marks will *not* be added - and I guess this is
> the problem. I don't remember what respective RFC says about it.

RFC822 says you shouldn't get a message that contains any specials (which
includes commas) in an address without them being contained within quotes.
I sent a test message from myself at work using outlook to my unix account
and it had the To and From headers properly formatted.

Any MUA/MTA combination that is spitting out headers of the form (for
example)

From: Guenther, Matthew <mguenthe@netcom.ca>

Is very broken as I understand it.

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther                       If you're passed on the right...
mguenthe@engr.uvic.ca                  you're in the wrong lane.