Setting up mailboxes

(using balsa 0.4.5 off of the web page at
http://www.balsa.net/download.html)

When I started balsa for the first time, I was filling in the
configuration fields and I had some troubles with the paths to "inbox",
"outbox" and "trash". The /var/spool/mail default for the inbox didn't
work. What I ended up doing was creating a "Mail" directory off of my home
directory. In their I touched "inbox", "outbox", and "trash". Then balsa
started.

I finally figured out how to create a new POP3 mailbox. I updated the
inbox to be POP3, I told balsa to check POP3, and I can see the inbox file
getting larger. If I cat the file, sure enough, there is the text of my
mail. I can't get balsa to display the mail. If I close balsa and try to
start it again, it crashes. I can't restart it until I delete the .balsarc
file and do the setup again. Balsa still doesn't show my mail after I do
this.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

-Ben