Re: [ubuntu-art] Re: PHP/MySQL tasks on the art.ubuntu.com website

On 9/7/05, Morgan Tocker <tocker gmail com> wrote:
> > - It puts unnecessary load on the server for little gain while for an
> > artist who has made the original artwork it's a trivial task to make
> > the thumbnail as well.

I think that should be a test. If you can't make a thumbnail of
appropriate size, you can't upload your artwork. :o)

> Is it possibly for the default behaviour to be that the thumbnails are
> auto generated, and the artist can upload a custom thumbnail if he/she
> chooses?

That sounds like a good idea to me, but I don't know how to implement
the technical wizardry myself.

Even if the server is generating the thumbnails, it doesn't have to
add a ton of processing requirements. Using something like Squid, they
can be generated once and cached for subsequent page views. PHP may
even have this functionality built in these days. I'm still using a
version 4ish PHP on my home webserver.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu
Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere. ~ G.K. Chesterton